17 March 2009

Giants of the sky

I've been working in the aviation maintenance industry for more than 15 years now.
When I started, I was taught about the theory of flights, the study of how an aircraft flies. I know the parts and components that put the machines on air and I've been working on them for the past many years.

Yet quite often, when large airplanes are taking off to the sky, I can't help but to watch in amazement.


Some pictures I got from the internet;



Antonov AN-225 Mriya
Largest airplane in the world with 84.0 m. of length, 18.1 m. of height and 88.4 m. of wingspan.



Airbus A380
Largest passenger airliner in the world with 73 m./239 ft. 3 in. of length, 24.1 m./79 ft. 7 in. of height and 7.14 m./23 ft. 5 in. of wingspan.



Airbus Beluga (A300-600ST Super Transporter)
Developed to transport complete sections of Airbus aircraft from different production sites in Europe to Airbus final assembly lines in Toulouse or Hamburg.



Boeing B747 Dreamlifter
Intensively modified Boeing 747-400 used exclusively for transporting aircraft parts, primarily the major assemblies of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner from suppliers around the world to Boeing.



B747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft
Extensively modified Boeing 747 used to transport NASA Space Shuttle orbiters.



Airbus A340-600
World's longest passenger aircraft with 75.3 m./247 ft. 1 in. of length.



Photography;
Antonov An-225 photography by Dmottl, licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0.
A380 photography by
Dmottl, Paris Air Show 2007.
Airbus Beluga photo from
NASA, USRA (Universities Space Research Association), and L-3 Communications Integrated Systems.
B747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft photography by Carla Thomas taken on September 1, 1998 for
NASA.
B747-400 LCF photography by
Cory Barnes, licenced under Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 2.0.
A340-600 photography by
Arpingstone.





13 comments:

  1. Hello Zunnur!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog. I have been busy with some renovations at home that I did not have much time blogging. :P

    Like you I'm always fascinated by planes. Whenever I see one, I dream about flying and going to different places.

    Have a nice weekend friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These shots are amazing! It is always so impressive to see aircrafts up close. I'm always in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi zunnur! glad to see you back. and i wish you happyness as well, or at least an iron to see it when its staring you in the face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. zunner :) .cool nice pics .“It is as if there were a natural law which ordained that to achieve this end, to refine the curve of a piece of furniture, or a ship's keel, or the fuselage of an airplane, until gradually it partakes of the elemental purity of the curve of the human”.Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.
    Thanks for sharing :) .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must be an interesting job!

    I feel the same when I fly: I know technology and I kind of understand how we fly but I still find it amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost always look up when I hear a plane overhead. It drives my hubby bonkers, because it happens a lot during our tennis games. :)

    ~ Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  7. zunnur,

    thank you for droppin by at my blog. i'm fine. hope u r doin good as well. wow, interesting job:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is pretty amazing to watch planes take off-- lol, more so than watching them land!
    Thanks for the nice comment on my blog-- though I think that pic of me in the shower is more flattering to my bird than me lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. This may be a little bit off topic from your original post, but you'd be a great person to talk to if someone was terrified of flying! My sister has to travel a lot in her job and she's always scared to death that something will be wrong with the plane during her flight.
    I always tell her that those planes are maintained so well-- probably better than the majority of people keep up with their cars!

    Interesting profession and nice post. :-)
    -M.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great site!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots of different airplanes with nice information. Very interesting blog. Thanks for dropping a comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Planes also fascinate me :) I like when they are taking off :) Nice pics and interesting information.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hallo Zunner, just been catching up on a few of your posts, I just don't seem to get time any more, hectic like you. I wonder how that guy would have felt if you had preened his feathers a bit and told him what a hero he was in your eyes :o mind that's a bit risky. But it is sad really, let's hope he never becomes a politician. Where do you wanna fly? take care, Suz

    ReplyDelete

Custom Search